Monday, 24 September 2007

Unexpected Love

My HTC love remains unrequited due to Orange not releasing the phone I want until nearer Christmas - if I want it I will have to pay T-Mobile for it and I really need to keep up this not spending money on gadgets thing. The iPhone is very much like Liv Tyler, very pretty and on first appearances very good but anything other than a cursory inspection reveals gaping defecits. It also costs 270 quid and ties you to an 18 month contract which saps your money adn free will.

So that takes us back to plan A right? The Sony with the cool camera? Well.....no. It's cool and everything and looks like it has an awesome battery life too but I can't get around the fact that it is Sony, a company I am not currently very fond of. Enter the N95, one I haven't spoken about before for various reasons.

One of the many reasons I was looking at SmartPhones was convenience - I've had them for years and since having them I hav enever once had to transfer my cntacts onto a new phone - I plug it in to my PC, it does magic and all my contacts, calendars, appointments etc. are on my phone. Also they have messneger on them, internet explorer blahblahblah. So if I wasn't getting one, I figured I would get something generally just all phone-like and not pda-like at all, that way I wouldn't be expecting any of the extra features you see? Clever I know.

This was clearly a retarded train of thought, following my usual steep twisting mountain path logic. I neglected to consider one blindingly obvious thing - If I get a phone, like the N95, wth the Symbian OS on it, then I can spend huge amounts of time tinkering with applications trying to get it to work with various bits of software in order to 'save me time'. The time tinkering will be wildly disproportionate to the time saved of course, this is entirely besides the point.

So, long story short - I am awaiting a call back from Mr Orange Man (I think that's what he said his name was). Hopefully I can persuade them to let me have it for free, that gives me a very good camera, a media player, 3G and superfluous video conferencing camera. The only thing it won't have is landscape screen when browsing or a QWERTY keyboard, a shame but no deal breaker.

I've being playing with a colleague's N95 and it'll take some getting used to, I've not had a Nokia in about 5 years, but watch this space. I can tell you're riveted.

No comments: